In Memoriam: 1942-1952

Holy Cross Magazine publishes In Memoriam to inform the College community of the deaths of alumni, Trustees, students, employees and friends. In Memoriam content, which is based on obituaries published in public forums or provided directly to HCM by the family, is limited to an overview of an individual’s life accomplishments, including service to alma mater and a survivors’ listing. Featured obituaries, labeled “Holy Cross Remembers,” are provided for faculty, senior administrators, Jesuits, honorary degree recipients and Trustees. Portrait photos from The Purple Patcher appear as space permits and at the discretion of the editor (photos provided by the deceased’s family are not accepted). Tributes appear in the order in which they are received; due to the volume of submissions and Magazine deadlines, it may be several issues before they appear in print. To notify the College of a death, please call the Alumni Office at 508-793-3039 or email, attaching a copy of an obituary, if available.

Robert E. Flynn, M.D
Robert E. Flynn, M.D., of Phoenix, died on April 7, 2015, at 94. Dr. Flynn grew up in small-town Iowa before attending Holy Cross as a premed student. He volunteered with the U.S. Army Reserve while pursuing his medical degree at St. Louis University, which he earned in 1945. He completed his medical internship at Milwaukee General Hospital before his first tour of duty with the Army Medical Corps. He served with the Corps at the former Fitzsimons General Hospital in Denver, Camp Carson in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and Fort Riley in Kansas. Dr. Flynn completed residency in radiology at the University of Iowa College of Medicine and eventually rose to the rank of assistant professor in the radiology department. After residency, he did another tour of duty with the Army Medical Corps, this time in Korea, before settling in Phoenix in 1953. He spent his career at St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, where he led the nuclear medicine department and was the first neuroradiologist in Arizona. Dr. Flynn also completed a fellowship in neuroradiology at the New York Neurological Institute of Columbia University in New York City. He retired from medicine after 35 years. He was a longtime member of the Jesuit St. Francis Xavier Parish in Phoenix, a member of the Xavier Catholic Community and a leader of his son’s Boy Scout troop. Dr. Flynn is survived by two sons; two daughters; six grandchildren; and one sister. He was predeceased by his wife of 55 years, Marion; one daughter; and one son.

James E. Lynch Jr.

James E. “Ed” Lynch Jr., of West Yarmouth, Massachusetts, died on May 15, 2015, at 93. Mr. Lynch was born in Dorchester, Massachusetts, and raised in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, before attending Holy Cross. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He lived in Framingham, Massachusetts, and worked at defense contractor Raytheon Company in Waltham, Massachusetts, for 33 years. He served in managerial positions in procurement and materials until his retirement in 1985, when he relocated to West Yarmouth. Mr. Lynch is survived by three daughters; one son; nine grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. His wife, Ruth, died in February 2016. He was predeceased by fellow Holy Cross graduates in his family: his father, James E. Lynch, Class of 1908; and his cousin, Cdr. George M. Lynch, USNR '41.

Robert J. Freeburn

Robert J. “Bob” Freeburn, of Marco Island, Florida, died on March 16, 2015, at 93. Mr. Freeman served in the U.S. Army and the U.S. Air Force; he received a Purple Heart in honor of his service in World War II. He worked in the insurance business, serving as president of Kemper Insurance Co. and working at Hastings Tapley Insurance Agency. Mr. Freeburn was a lifelong Catholic and a parishioner at San Marco Catholic Church in Marco Island. He is survived by his wife of 67 years, Lorraine; five children; 12 grandchildren; 11 great-grandchildren; and three sisters.

Thomas D. Dolan

Thomas D. Dolan, of Peabody, Massachusetts, died on May 5, 2015, at 90. Mr. Dolan was born and raised in Lynn, Massachusetts, and educated by the Sisters of St. Joseph in the town, at St. Mary’s Elementary School and St. Mary’s High School. He was a member of the Naval ROTC program and a mathematics major at Holy Cross. He completed his degree early and served in the Pacific during World War II. After the war, he enrolled at Harvard Law School and graduated with honors in 1949. He was hired by the firm Lynn, Donohue and Donohue in Peabody (now Dolan and Regan), and worked there for the next 40 years, trying cases every week. Mr. Dolan was active in the community as a member of the Peabody Planning Board, a lawyer for Catholic Charities and member of the parish council at St. Ann’s Church in Peabody. He was elected as a fellow to the American College of Trial Lawyers and received the John J. Jennings Advocacy Award from the Greater Lynn Bar in 1993. Mr. Dolan was a member of the Holy Cross Lawyers Association. He stopped his trial work at age 70 but continued working 30 hours a week, splitting time between Peabody and his office at his home in New Port Richey, Florida. He was married to Evelyn for more than 50 years, until her death, and was also predeceased by one daughter. He is survived by two daughters and their spouses; two sons and their spouses; and seven grandchildren.

Leonard J. Platt
Leonard J. Platt, of Trumbull, Connecticut, died on March 29, 2015, at 91. Mr. Platt was a longtime resident of Trumbull and a patent attorney at the General Electric Company in nearby Fairfield, Connecticut, for more than 30 years. He earned his law degree from Georgetown Law School (now Georgetown Law Center) in 1953, after serving as an officer in the U.S. Navy during WWII. He was part of the Naval ROTC at Holy Cross while he was a student and continued his involvement as a member of the O’Callahan Society, the alumni group that supports NROTC on campus. Mr. Platt was also a member of the Holy Cross Lawyers Association. He is survived by one son. He was predeceased by his wife, Ann Marie; and a son.

Wallace J. Wolf Jr., Esq.
Wallace J. “Bud” Wolf Jr., Esq., of Longboat Key, Florida, died on Jan. 18, 2013, at 88. Mr. Wallace received his law degree from Harvard University in 1949 and then worked as an attorney in Rochester, New York, for more than 50 years. He participated in Naval ROTC at Holy Cross and continued his involvement as a member of the O’Callahan Society, the alumni group that supports NROTC on campus. He was also a member of the Holy Cross Lawyers Association. He is survived by his wife, Heidi; one son, one daughter and their spouses; and five grandchildren. He was predeceased by a daughter.

Charles R. McIntosh

Charles R. “Charlie” McIntosh, of Lynn, Massachusetts, died on April 14, 2015, at 89. Mr. McIntosh grew up in Lawrence, Massachusetts, and attended Lawrence schools before enrolling at Holy Cross and studying physics. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1944-1946 and took advantage of the GI Bill to obtain two master’s degrees in engineering and math. He spent his career working for the United States government as a defense contractor, first at the Huntsville Arsenal in Alabama, then at the Portsmouth Navy Yard in New Hampshire and then at Raytheon, when it was located in Andover, Massachusetts. He was part of the development of the HAWK Missile System. He was married to Edna for 50 years, from 1955 until her death in 2005. Mr. McIntosh was a devout member of Sacred Heart Church in Lynn. He is survived by one sister and several nieces, nephews, grand-nieces and grand-nephews. He was predeceased by his sister.

James Ogden Owens

James Ogden Owens, of Brevard, North Carolina, died on March 19, 2015, at 88. Mr. Owens was a biology major at Holy Cross and also participated in the Glee Club and the Knights of Columbus. He spent his career with Wyeth Pharmaceuticals before retiring to Transylvania County in North Carolina. Mr. Owens is survived by his wife, Jackie; four daughters and their spouses; one son and his spouse; three stepchildren; 19 grandchildren; 23 great-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his wife of 44 years, Rody; his twin sister; two sisters; and one brother.

Theodore L. Heying, Ph.D.

Theodore “Ted” L. Heying, of Madison, Connecticut, died on May 2, 2014, at 86. Dr. Heying received a master of science degree from the College in 1949, and then earned his Ph.D. in chemistry from the University of Maryland. He worked as the director of international technology at Olin Corp in Connecticut until his retirement. He is survived by one son; one daughter; and three grandsons. He was predeceased by his wife, Patricia.

John S. McGovern Jr., M.D.
John S. McGovern Jr., M.D., of Weymouth, Massachusetts, died on April 2, 2015, at 89. Dr. McGovern interrupted his college career to serve in the U.S. Army as a medic in France and Germany during World War II. He finished his degree after the war and then went on to Tufts University School of Medicine. He completed his residency training in pathology at Carney Hospital in Dorchester, Massachusetts, and Tufts-New England Medical Center in Boston. Dr. McGovern worked as the chief of pathology at Leonard Morse Hospital in Natick, Massachusetts (now part of MetroWest Medical Center) for the majority of his career and also was a clinical professor of pathology at Tufts University School of Medicine. He served as president of the Massachusetts Medical Society and the Natick Red Cross. Dr. McGovern supported the College as a member of the President’s Council, a Class Agent and career planning counselor. He is survived by his wife of 60 years, Anna; four sons; one daughter; six grandchildren, including Christopher Higel-McGovern ’15; and his niece, Catherine Crean ’80. He was predeceased by one son.

Hon. Thomas E. Dannemiller Sr.

Hon. Thomas E. Dannemiller Sr., of Alpharetta, Georgia, died on March 21, 2015, at 86. He participated in Naval ROTC at Holy Cross and went on to serve in the U.S. Navy as executive officer aboard the USS Hood. He worked for Coca-Cola USA, retiring as the executive vice president. He generously supported the College as a member of the President’s Council. He is survived by his wife, Nancy; six children, including Thomas E. Dannemiller Jr., CPA ’74; 22 grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.

Rev. Thomas F. O'Brien
Rev. Thomas F. “Tom” O'Brien, of Naples, Florida, died on April 21, 2015, at 88. Fr. O’Brien graduated from St. John’s High School in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, in 1944 and then served with the U.S. Navy in the Philippines during World War II, from 1945-1946. He enrolled at Holy Cross after the war and majored in Greek. At St. John’s Seminary in Brighton, Massachusetts, he studied philosophy and theology in preparation for the priesthood. He was ordained a priest on Feb. 2, 1956, at The Cathedral of St. Paul in Worcester. He served as associate pastor at several Massachusetts parishes, as well as pastor at St. Columba in Paxton, St. Pius X in Leicester and St. Ann in North Oxford. Throughout his ministry, Fr. O’Brien served as a chaplain for a number of groups in the Worcester diocese and local area: Council of Catholic Youth, Catholic Women’s Club of Worcester, Newman Club at Worcester State College, Pro Deo Club for Young Adults at St. Paul Cathedral, Monadnock Council of Boy Scouts, Athol Unit of the Civil Air Patrol and the Athol (Massachusetts) area Holy Family League of Charity. He was also a moderator of the Council of Catholic Men in both Worcester and Gardner (Massachusetts), as well as a counsellor on the Worcester diocesan Advisory Board. Fr. O’Brien was also a pioneer of ecumenism, the promotion of unity among Christian churches, and was a member of the first Worcester diocesan ecumenical council in 1965, co-author of the diocese’s first ecumenism directory and a professor of ecumenical theology at Anna Maria College in Paxton, Massachusetts. He retired from active ministry in 1991 and assisted at San Marco Parish in Marco Island, Florida, and St. William in Naples until his retirement in 2013. He generously supported the College as a member of the President’s Council, 1843 Society and Fitton Society. He is survived by one cousin.

Francis B. Bryson

Francis B. “Fran” Bryson, of Weston, Massachusetts, died on May 3, 2015, at 87. Mr. Bryson was a longtime resident of Weston and grew up in Newton, Massachusetts. He graduated from Newton High School in 1945 and was an all-scholastic in both football and baseball. He was an English major and played football at Holy Cross. He played on the team that went to the Orange Bowl in 1946. Mr. Bryson served in the U.S. Navy from 1946-1948. He graduated from Boston College Law School in 1959 and was a member of the Massachusetts Bar Association. He worked for the Bell System for 35 years. He is survived by his wife of 62 years, Joan; two sons, including Michael C. Bryson ’81; two daughters, including Carol S. Laves ’78; 10 grandchildren, including Emily E. Kinn ’11; two sisters; and many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by two brothers and two sisters.

Walter E. Cullen
Walter E. Cullen, of East Greenwich, Rhode Island, died on April 18, 2015, at 87. Mr. Cullen was born in Worcester, and served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He worked as a vice president in the marketing industry during his career. He is survived by his wife of 64 years, Alicia; one son; two daughters; four grandchildren; and one sister.

Charles A. D'Elia
Charles A. D'Elia, of Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, died on April 19, 2015, at 86. Mr. D’Elia was born in Worcester and attended North High School in the city, where he was an all-city athlete. He served in the U.S. Army in Germany during World War II before attending Holy Cross. He was a pitcher on the baseball team and majored in foreign languages. He earned a master’s degree in education at Worcester State University and returned to his alma mater, North High School, as a foreign language teacher. He retired after many years as head of the Department of Foreign Languages, and was also a coach. At various points in his career, he was the assistant and varsity football coach and the junior varsity baseball and basketball coach. Mr. D’Elia was a former ITAM (Italian American) Vets State Commander and a member of both the Post 3 Italian World War II Veterans and the East Side Post 201 American Legion. He is survived by his wife of 61 years, Clara; one son; one daughter; two grandchildren; one sister; and many cousins, nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by two brothers and six sisters.

Gerard E. Vincent
Gerard E. Vincent, of Huntington, New York, died on Jan. 12, 2015, at 85. Mr. Vincent enrolled at Holy Cross with the Class of 1951 and completed his bachelor’s degree at Fordham University in New York City in 1952. He also earned a master of arts degree from Fordham in 1954. He worked as a foreign language teacher at the Great Neck Public Schools in Great Neck, New York. Mr. Vincent attended daily Mass at St. Patrick’s in Huntington and frequented the Huntington Public Library. He is survived by one sister; two brothers; and many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by one sister and two brothers.

Lawrence A. Walsh
Lawrence A. “Larry” Walsh, of Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, died on Sept. 14, 2014, at 87. Mr. Walsh graduated from Holy Cross with a major in business administration, as well as enough credits for a philosophy major, and completed the Naval ROTC program. He served in the U.S. Army from 1946-1947 and was stationed in Korea. He also served in the U.S. Navy, stationed on the USS Tutulia from 1951-1953. After his military career, he worked for publishing company McGraw-Hill for 33 years, retiring as senior vice president. Mr. Walsh was active in retirement as the owner of Meriden Mason Supplies, a family business in Rockaway, New Jersey. As a volunteer with the Monroe County Rail Authority in Pennsylvania, he restored passenger service to that region for the first time in decades. He also lived in Texas in his later years, where he worked as a docent and rail modeler at the Texas Transportation Museum in San Antonio. His wife of 61 years, Hilda, died in 2013. He was also predeceased by his parents and daughter-in-law. Mr. Walsh is survived by four sons, one daughter and their spouses; four grandchildren; one sister; and many nieces and nephews.

Thomas M. Frates

Thomas M. “Tom” Frates, of Plymouth, Massachusetts, died on April 18, 2015. Mr. Frates was a member of the U.S. Army and served in the Korean War. He received a bachelor of laws degree from Suffolk University and a master of laws degree in banking law from Boston University. He was an expert in commercial law, creditors’ rights, fiduciaries and instrumental laws. He worked as an attorney in private practice and as an examiner for the treasury department; he was also elected town moderator of Middleboro and Plymouth, Massachusetts. Mr. Frates received the World War II Victory Medal and the Russian Commemorative Medal for Victory in the Great Patriotic War (WWII). He was a member of the Holy Cross Lawyers Association. Mr. Frates lived with his family in Norwood, Massachusetts. He is survived by his wife, B. Joan; one daughter and son-in-law; two sons; three grandsons; two brothers, including William J. Frates, M.D. ’56; and a niece, Cheryl Frates Maxim ’85. He was predeceased by his father, Joseph H. Frates, Class of 1922.

Richard F. Ouellette
Richard F. “Dick” Ouellette, of Danielson, Connecticut, died on Nov. 20, 2014, at 87. Mr. Ouellette lived in Danielson for most of his life, except for his time at Holy Cross and 10 years spent in Middletown, Connecticut. He served in the U.S. Army for 18 months after graduating from Killingly (Connecticut) High School. He graduated cum laude from Holy Cross in 1952 and then earned a master of arts in teaching from Harvard University in 1953. He was a member of the French Club as an undergraduate, and in 1954, he earned a Fulbright award in French Literature. Mr. Ouellette taught French and was the chair of the language department at Ledyard (Connecticut) High School for 24 years, from 1963 until his retirement in 1987. He organized student trips to Paris for 20 years during his tenure at Ledyard High. He was an active alumnus of Killingly High School, serving as both president and historian of the Killingly High School Alumni Association (KHSAA) and a supporter of the KHSAA Scholarship Fund. In 1997, he was named “Mr. Alumnus” and had a scholarship named after him. Mr. Ouellette was a longtime member of St. James Church in Danielson, where he was baptized, married and then laid to rest. He is survived by his wife of 61 years, Annette; two daughters; three sons; and four grandchildren.